Take Care of Your Boiler or Furnace This Winter
Maintenance Tips for Your Boiler or Furnace
There have been a lot of ups and downs over the past year, and it can be hard to know what to expect. But one thing you can count on is this: Winter is coming to Western Massachusetts. The only question is, do you know what you should be doing to take care of your boiler or furnace this season?
Do this before winter starts
There are a few things you should do now before winter gets here. This will help to ensure that your heating system is up to the task of keeping you and your family comfortable all winter—no matter how harsh the weather gets. It will also help you save money on your energy bills.
- Check your air filter. A dirty or clogged filter reduces the efficiency of your system and diminishes the air quality in your home. By checking your air filter regularly (every month) and cleaning or replacing it as needed, you’ll improve the longevity of your system and save money on your energy bills.
- Check your thermostat. A malfunctioning or poorly placed thermostat can cause your furnace or boiler to run more often than it should, likely increasing your maintenance costs while also decreasing the longevity of your heating system.
- Add insulation. Many New England homes are insufficiently insulated—especially the older ones. Give your heating system a hand by helping your home keep warm air inside and cold air outside. Your attic and crawl spaces are prime candidates for insulation.
- Seal doors and windows. Install caulk or weatherstripping as needed to make your home as airtight as possible. You can also cover your windows with plastic.
- Schedule a maintenance visit. Now is the time to take care of any needed repairs. You don’t want the unwelcome surprise of a heating system problem on a cold New England day. Most problems can be prevented with maintenance, so this is one of the most important things you can do for your heating system before the winter starts. When you trust your HVAC system to FSi Oil and Propane, you get quality, upfront pricing, and highly experienced professionals who can repair all major brands.
Here are some tips for your furnace this winter:
- Check your filters regularly. Check your filters monthly so you can change or clean them as needed.
- Set your thermostat to “on” instead of “auto.” This will maximize the whole-house cleaner that’s attached to your furnace. It will keep the temperature even throughout your Massachusetts home while offering ongoing circulation and filtration of your indoor air.
Here are some tips for your boiler this winter:
- Check the damper. If you check the baseboard and notice that you’re not getting heat, double check that the damper is open. Check to see that the bottom of the unit is clear and free of any obstructions like carpeting or toys.
- Check your water gauge (in a steam-type system) regularly. The primary cause of shutdowns are low-water levels. If the water in the gauge looks rusty, your steam boiler needs to be “flushed.”
- Check your radiator valve regularly. Your radiator valve should always be fully set to “on” or “off.” If the valve is in between positions, it won’t be able to regulate the temperature. This will also cause a hammering sound due to strained pipes.
FSi Oil and Propane has been a family-owned company serving western Massachusetts since 1989. Quality is our top priority. Our employees are all highly trained, certified technicians. We value our reputation, and we protect it with honest workmanship, fair pricing, and superior products. When you contact FSi Oil and Propane to maintain or repair your boiler or furnace, you can rest assured that the very best people are on the job.
Are you ready to have comfort delivered and value guaranteed? Contact FSi Oil and Propane today!