Should I Repair Or Replace My Heating System?
Having a reliable and efficient home heating system is really important here in western Massachusetts, where we rely on our furnace or boiler for almost two-thirds of the year.
If your heating equipment is on its last legs and you fear you may need repair or replace it, don’t worry: FSi is here to help. If you’re not sure what course to take, here are some repair vs. replace guidelines for your home heating system:
Repair your equipment if:
- Your system is less than 10 years old
- It can be fixed with a reasonable hope that there won’t be further issues.
- Your equipment is properly sized for your home
- The problems are minor (smaller electrical issues, minor ductwork repairs, blocked drain lines, etc.)
- Repair costs are 25 percent of the cost of replacement or less
- Your monthly energy bills have risen by less than 10 percent since last year
- Your system has been repaired less than twice over the last decade
Replace your equipment if:
- Your system is 10 years old or older
- Damage is severe (blown compressor, damaged condenser coils, etc.)
- Your system is undersized for your home (for example, if you’ve built a house addition since installing it)
- The repair costs more than 25 percent of replacement costs (especially on older equipment)
- Your monthly energy bills have gone up by more than 10 percent since last year
- Your system has been repaired more than twice over the last decade
Tipping The Scales: Mass Save Rebates
Sometimes the repair/replace equation is pretty close to even, making your choice a tougher one. In those cases, incentives can tip the scales in favor of a heating system upgrade.
This year, for example, you may qualify for thousands of dollars in rebates and loans with zero percent interest to cover equipment replacement. Mass Save rebates in 2021 include up to $2,300 on propane furnaces and boilers and up to $800 on oil furnaces and boilers.
Additional savings are available for propane and oil water heaters – contact us today to learn more.
Considering a new heating system installation in western MA? We can help! Contact FSi today to learn more about propane and heating oil heating system installations in Greater Springfield!